A while ago I read the blog post Top 10 signs you are a Product Clerk and not a Product Owner. The author Eric Laramée postulates ten signs that tell whether a Product Owner is more like a Product Clerk.
I prefer questions. So I decided to reformulate the statements into questions:
- Have you ever used a similar product?
- Were you ever annoyed by the limits of the existing product (competing or not)?
- Do you understand more than the high level basics of the needed solution?
- Can you answer almost every question regarding the product yourself?
- Is your Product Backlog filled with horizontal and technical items?
- Does feedback mostly come from stakeholders during Sprint Reviews?
- Putting your foot down sounds like a feather hitting the floor?
- Are you able to quickly and convincingly state the Vision of “your” product?
- Do you call meeting after meeting and then a few more meetings with your development team when Mr. Stakeholder 2 overturned the request of Mr. Stakeholder 1, and then back again?
- Do you have a budget?
Do you have that twinkle in your eye when you talk about “your” product?
If you are a Product Owner (or Product Manager), how did you answer the questions?